Setting goals is important in many aspects of life, including writing. However, as much as we may strive to meet these goals, there are times when we need to set them aside and prioritize other things. One of those things is family. As writers, it can be difficult to strike a balance between our passion for writing and our responsibility to our loved ones. But, at times, it’s important to put our writing goals on hold to focus on our family. I did that for about five years. Every day I wanted to write. But everyday I was dedicated to a tiny boy, a young girl, and a husband with chronic illness. Balancing that time with my job as an RN, that was difficult already. Writing was sporadic. I felt guilt for not writing. But I felt joy taking care of my family. I was still inspired daily and have pages upon pages of notes and writing project ideas.
Here are some reasons why it’s necessary to prioritize family over writing goals:
- Family is a priority: Family should always come first. While writing is important, it should never take precedence over the needs of our family members.
- Family time is limited: In today’s busy world, we often have limited time with our family members. We need to make the most of this time and focus on building strong relationships with our loved ones.
- Writing can wait: Writing will always be there, but the time we have with our family is finite. It’s important to make the most of the time we have with them.
- Family support is essential: Family support can be a great source of inspiration and motivation for writers. It’s important to nurture these relationships and prioritize them over our writing goals.
- A healthy work-life balance: Prioritizing family can help us achieve a healthy work-life balance. It’s important to take time to recharge and focus on other aspects of our lives.
As writers, it’s important to set goals and work towards them, but we should also be aware of when it’s necessary to set them aside to focus on our family. By prioritizing our loved ones, we can build stronger relationships, gain inspiration and motivation, and achieve a healthier work-life balance.